[pianotech] Elbows

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 22 14:05:36 MST 2012

Chuck said: "When the elbows aren't brittle enough to crunch easily (and
sometimes some
of them are and some of them aren't) breaking them with pliers can be
difficult, and may result in a broken wing on the bottom of the wippen.
Have a soldering iron along in case you run into some that don't easily
turn to powder. (Although sometimes I can still break those off by
carefully snipping away with a sharp pair of needle nose pliers.

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving! Chuck"

The soldering iron creates TOXIC fumes! Not the way I'd do it, fer sur.<G>
Be safe out there kiddies.
Hmmm? since when do "needle nose pliers" have anything "sharp" on them?
Perhaps the wire cutter? Lotsa luck getting the jaw up far enough to do any
good. I'd go along with David Love's modified end nippers for better
control. I know, most of you dudes and dudettes are not that mechanically
inclined. And most do not have an adequate shop with tools like grinders
and such. In that case, go down to a used tool place/garage sales/or
(gasp), Harbor frieght and get some end nippers and then schlepp them
suckers to your nearest all-around-good guy rebuilder, that has all that
neat stuff, and have him/her do the deed of modifiying.
That's my take on that.<G>
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police