[pianotech] Needle Nose Pliers and Elbows

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 06:00:19 MST 2012

Joe said: Might you have ground down the Serrated jaws as
well? If not, then a new center pin would be warranted, as those suckers
can really screw up a center pin!

Good point, Joe. However, the pair of pliers that I sacrificed to the cause
were old to begin with hardly enough "bite" to their jaws to cause any
damage. Besides, as you're nipping away at the last bits of the old plastic
elbow, there's still the red bushing felt protecting the center pin that
usually comes out last.

In that I've still got the hand tools that I claimed as my own as a kid in
the '50's which were ones that my dad was given by his father, it's hard to
even guess at the vintage of this particular pair of pliers - I know
they're ones I've had seemingly forever. Any idea of when they started
making needle nose pliers?  Just wondering, now that you've got me thinking
about it. Chuck