[pianotech] Knabe

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 25 08:26:11 MST 2012

     Strange that you would mention "pulling the action", as that was what occurred to me next. (Though I don't remember recommending it.)
     The pre-1924 Ampicos had dowel-capstan type pushrods to impinge upon the undersides of the keys, while 1924 and later used hinged "flange-fingers", with a standard metal capstan atop. So the earlier ones can be identified by the small remaining screw holes (inside the action cavity, on the keybed toward he rear) adjacent to the slot that the player system worked through, which once held strips of wood down with 1/2" diameter felt-bushed holes for guiding the dowels. (Or, these long, perforated strips may still be present. ) But on the post-1923 examples, there was just a long slot (with no individually bushed holes) for the system's "flange-fingers" to operate through.
     I wouldn't recommend pulling the action just to verify who's right about this, but if it's out, anyway, this might help assuage your curiosity about the date of this thing's making.

Thumpe