[pianotech] Collard & Collard

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Tue Nov 27 13:04:39 MST 2012

I went to look at a grand piano for a new client today, and was a bit
enthralled by what I found.  It's a 78" piano, with the serial number 9351.

That serial number dates it, remarkably, to about 1826.  The piano is of
striking modernity and solidity for such an age.  Just think, it was
made when Beethoven was alive!

I am sending some pics over several emails, to let you see some of the
details.

The client is considering whether to have the piano case refinished, and
I am ruminating over what to advise him about the insides. It is best to
have a "minimum intervention" policy, and just clean it up and tune it
(it's 300 cents flat, but the pins feel great)?  Or should it go to a
rebuilder for a complete job - stringing, case refinishing etc?

The quality of sound is quite remarkable in its fullness and richness.
It has bichords quite far up the scale (plain music wire).

At every turn, it displays evidence of thoughtful design - look, for
example, at the two little turned handles for pulling out the action!

There is no sign of moth damage.  What do you think is the function of
the curious little tabs or tongues, on the backchecks?

Observations welcome!

Best regards,

David.