[pianotech] Cramer piano

Tom Rhea, Jr. rheapiano at cox.net
Tue Nov 27 13:04:54 MST 2012

Hi Rex,

J. B. Cramer & Co. was established in 1824 at 139 New Bond Street, London,
W1, England.  Your serial number would seem to indicate that it was
manufactured around early 1917.  Their heyday seemed to be between 1900 and
1933 when they were making about 1,500 instruments a year.  During WWII
their output was - understandably - almost non-existent.  After the war and
up until 1960 they made very few instruments per year (less that 250) and
none, it seems after 1960.

I don't have any information as to quality though I did find a Cramer grand
in England that was trying to find a new home.  The owner had died and his
relatives stated that, even though it was a good playing and well-maintained
instrument, they just didn't have the room for it.

I hope this helps.

Tom

Rhea Piano Service

Tom Rhea, Jr., Technician