[pianotech] Moulded keytops

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Nov 29 17:40:11 MST 2012

On 11/29/2012 5:32 PM, Joseph Garrett wrote:
> Ron said:
> "Look it up. It'll be good experience for you."
> Ron,
> Oooo I did and it made me all wet and gooey!

See, that didn't hurt so bad, did it?

> However, to the main subject, I prefer "Ivorine" aka "Pyralin". The problem
> with "moulded" is that it implies that all keys are the same and that stuff
> will be better and fit all keys.

It doesn't imply anything like that to me. The pre-shaped key top is,
however, a lot less wasteful than the rectangular pyralin and easier on
the folks who don't own powered key machines.

>It isn't and doesn't, imo.

You don't need an opinion to know that all keys aren't the same, and
that the pre-shaped key tops don't perfectly fit everything without
doing some work. All you have to do is look to see it's a fact. But then
no one has ever claimed otherwise that I'm aware of.

>And, it makes more work in the end.

How? If it's because the shaped tops are thicker and you need to plane
the key down, you might find, like most of us, that the thicker top
doesn't leave a rippled top surface like the thinner pyralin -
especially if it's solvent bonded to the key.

> Too thick and if scratched, is a bear to buff out w/o destroying the darned
> stuff.

Pyralin is as soft or softer than the shaped tops I've used. Try not
scratching them instead.

> That's my take on the stuff.

Of course it is.

> I know there are many who use it with reasonable success. If given a choice
> I'd rather have some Plexiglass tops, as they used in Europe for quite a
> few years. (Don't know if they still do.) Great stuff imo. More tricky to
> trim for sure, but  bullet proof from then on.

Then why don't you buy opaque white plexiglass sheet and use that?
Ron N