[pianotech] Belly talk

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Nov 30 12:46:54 MST 2012

On 11/30/2012 1:11 PM, Terry Farrell wrote:

> Maybe a good way to decide would be to build your soundboard and lay
> it in there on the rim - see how it mates to the rim. If the rim
> crown is pushing up the ends and you have to sit on the darn thing to
> bring it down to the rim, you might want to consider removing the
> crown. If, on the other hand, the original crown on the rim enhances
> good mating of the soundboard to the rim, for sure leave it.

Maybe I've lived a sheltered life, but I've never put in a board that
didn't take a WHOLE LOT of forcing down to the rim in the base side tail
and treble front. I've always found it entertaining and sort of sad when
people (not you) go to great verbal lengths to justify how some piddly
little contour modification to the rim would insure a stress free panel
installation, usually with a CC soundboard with a panel that is already
half crushed just by putting it together.

As to the "most important crown in the soundboard", it's physically
impossible to avoid crown along the long bridge if there is crown along
the ribs, as the perimeter is pressed and glued to a plane or nearly
plane rim.

Ron N