[pianotech] Glasgow Concert Halls: The Piano

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri Nov 30 13:26:16 MST 2012

 From 16th to 25th November, Glasgow Concert halls held a special
concert/recital series, "The Piano".  A super series with many fine
pianists. Kudos to Glasgow for holding this!

I attended five recitals: Alexandre Tharaud, Richard Goode, Dan Tepfer,
Daniil Trifonov and Alex Beatson.

All were excellent, a wonderful standard throughout.  Tharaud played
Scarlatti, Ravel, Mahler (his own arrangement for piano of the Adagio
from Symphony number 5) and Beethoven Sonata Op 57. Goode played the
last three Betthoven sonatas and bagatelles Op 19.  Tepfer played Bach's
Goldberg Variations with his own short improvisations between each
variation - excellent. Trifonov played Scriabin Sonata No2 Liszt Sonata
in B minor and Chopin 24 preludes Op 28.  Beatson played Mozart
Variations in G, Schubert's Wanderer fantasy, three Lizst
Shubert/Schumann song arrangements.

The son of friends of mine has just started a music degree at Glasgow
University and there were special student/young person rates for all the
concerts and recitals, so he attended most of the ones I was at, and we
were able to 'compare notes' afterwards.

We both agreed that there was something very special indeed about the
Daniil Trifonov recital.  I have been to a lot of concerts and recitals
in my time, and heard some great (and some not so great) music-making.
There was some very special communication from Trifonov.  It is hard to
give an exact description of an audience feeling, but there was a
certain something, with the audience, a collective impression or
sensation - a raptness of attention, a sense that we were collectively
exposed, not to a "performace", but to an exploration of the music,
which conveyed strongly that the pianist LOVED it.  And I don't of
course mean histrionics - no swooning about and waving of elbows.  All
the communication took place via the hands on the piano,

Check him out on Youtube folks. eg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUI90rbdUBU

Due praise must also be given to the technician looking after the three
pianos I heard - all Steinway D.  I think it's a fellow called Alasdair
MLean.  So nice to hear "gourmet tunings" (to co-opt Dan Levitan's phrase).

Best regards,

David.