[pianotech] Baldwin D String Rendering

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Nov 30 15:19:15 MST 2012

On 11/30/2012 2:57 PM, Terry Farrell wrote:

> Is this the first piano Baldwin used this forward termination gizmo
> in?

I think so. See patent# 3,477,331

>Is the bar where the strings terminate under the capo a single
> complete unit with the bar the strings go over between the capo and
> tunings pins (two bars connected together)?

Yes. The later version used in the SD had individual terminators, one
per unison.

>If so, then this two-bar
> unit detaches from the cast iron capo bar - correct?

Sure.

>Is it screwed or
> anything to the capo (i.e. how is it attached to the capo bar)?

Like I said, I haven't gotten to tear one up to see yet, but I expect
it's screwed to the plate flange and the capo like the later version.
They got it in there, so it ought to be removable too, though it'll
require destringing.

Ron N