[pianotech] Brighter Yamaha

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Nov 30 16:34:22 MST 2012

Thankfully.....Yamaha has been testing the Weickert felt for several years now. Ask Jack about that development.Its his story.

Dale Erwin R.P.T.
Erwin's Piano Restoration Inc.
 Mason & Hamlin/Steinway/U.S. pianos
www.Erwinspiano.com
Phone: 209-577-8397

Allow me to add something here.

Del is right but the trending is in the right direction, in my view.  Still some work to be done but hammers are getting softer as evidenced by new Yamaha iterations, some Abel hammers, Renner Blue Points.  Of course there is also Ronsen whose pressings are definitely on the softer side.  Isaac hammers are softer as well.  The maker is important but the match to the piano is more important.

Come to WestPacIII in March.  Jack Brand will give a discussion on Weikert felt and hammer making processes, and I will be giving a class on choosing hammers where not only the characteristics of hammers will be discussed but hammer matching as well.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com