[pianotech] Belly talk

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Nov 30 19:15:12 MST 2012

David
  I agree. Having the contour match the crown of the board is a good thing. The rasten bevel is usually about 1 1/2 degrees.  The 1 1/2 degree bevel doesn't add any  bending stress either. IMO a flat one does.

Dale Erwin R.P.T.
Erwin's Piano Restoration Inc.
 Mason & Hamlin/Steinway/U.S. pianos
www.Erwinspiano.com
Phone: 209-577-8397

 The panel will be crowned and so will match the slight
slope of the inner rim and belly rail so that you don't have to force the
panel down to the inner rim at the inner edge.  The ideal amount of slope on
the inner rim should match the crown of the panel in my opinion.  Why force
unnecessary stress onto the panel?  Some would argue, in fact, that if the
inner rim isn't sloped by design that you should endeavor to make it so.

Assuming we're talking about the same thing, that is.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com