[pianotech] Overhang

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Fri Nov 30 20:28:40 MST 2012

Yeah, ahem.

About 30 years ago (before I started sending keys to Yvonne Ashmore), I
did a
few sets myself from non-molded blanks. I took a brass plate intended to
use
with a keyclamp for gluing on new fronts, and I filed a small radius curve
on the two edges. Then I could clamp it onto the front of a key which had
an oversized blank glued on, and trim the sides and front of the new keytop
with a laminate trimmer using a ball-bearing flush-cutting guide.

Worked. I just had to clean up the notches and slightly bevel the front and
edges.

Not as good as being all set up with the right gear, but that approach
could
be used to retrieve this hungover gaggle of keys. And when one is done, it
doesn't look like one just slapped a pre-molded set on.

Susan