[pianotech] Your hippocampus

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Tue Sep 4 11:20:52 MDT 2012

Greetings,

        Ahh! yes! The Hippocampus. Great  stuff!

This relates to not only tuning but music sight reading ability. From what
I read, the hippocampus is a part of the brain that is used for short term
memory tasks, such as remembering a phone number just long enough to get to
a  pad and pencil to jot it down.

      From what I read, music sight reading  ablilty is affected by the
condition of the hippocampus.

Recent research has uncovered (2009, thereabouts) that the Hippocampus is
the only part of the brain that actually has its cells constantly renewed.
In  PTSD victims the hippocampus is smaller than the person's who does not
have  PTSD. This article that I read online about a year ago stated that this
is  because a PSTD victim stores and only replays the trauma via hippocampus
and  that memory sort of "occupies" the hippocampus and that is the only
thing  it renews, that is until the trauma is addressed and somehow
eliminated.  There's a lot of good articles online about it.

    A new therapy called EMDR is claimed to help PSTD  victims. Interesting
stuff. Yes, Yes.

Julia Gottshall RPT
Reading PA

In a message dated 8/29/2012 5:55:36 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,