[pianotech] More PianoDisc Help Please

Steven Hopp hoppsmusic at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 6 17:24:22 MDT 2012

To all,
I went to Little Red Schoolhouse two years ago and just returned last month from PianoDisc.
It has been determined from PD that they sent driver boards that had not been bench tested for their 48 hour requirement.  They sent one new driver board and we tried it on the bass end and it seemed to work fine. Each driver board has a date written on it.  The bad ones were marked 7/12 and the good one I received was 8/12.  I learned about this after the following scenario:
Installed new driver board and After all the calibration however, the first song play and 1 minute into the song banging keys that were stuck down due to solenoids basically melting in place and taking out groups at a nominal rate as what happened the first time.  Remember at this point I did not know about the date marking I was told I had one bad board.    Also, I have found out that two other poor souls were in the same boat I was (am) and they called in with a similar problem on the same day.
I don't know how this slipped by but what a crappy way to do a first install.  Truthfully, I will only believe that this is the problem when all is up and running from the replacement of the driver boards.  If it is the problem and they knew it, which apparently they did it is a bad sign for what might be going on there.
Also, Lewis N suggested new cords early on and he was right.  In fact PD also knows that they have lousy cords and have just contracted to have better quality cords put into their kits.  I will believe that when I see it.
I still believe this is a good system for clients.  However, my partner and I have decided we will mock as much as possible up on the bench before we put anything in the piano.  I have crawled on the floor over 100 times in the last week and I'm sick of it.  Not to mention the hours and hours of time spent trying to figure out the problem and talking to piano disc and tending to the would I have on my head from scratching the same place in disbelief and wonderment!
When I am up and running for sure I'll let you all know,
Steven Hopp RPT