[pianotech] Repair to console music desk

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 7 06:41:02 MDT 2012

Like Wim said, if you can glue the split wood, you can do that.  But, it's only cosmetic because it's just likely to split again, especially when you try to insert the screw.  The better fix is to drill a hole up from the bottom edge of the music desk into your split area.  Insert a brass hammershank repair sleeve (insert a piece of shank if you like) and glue this in the hole.  I suppose you could just use a hammer shank and use your shank drill to make the hole.  Then, just drill through your new insert using the existing screw hole as a guide.  Insert the screw and you're done.  Obviously, if there's a missing piece in the music desk, you'll have to fill it or fabricate a repair piece of wood and refinish it first.  But, adding an insert will prevent the screw from splitting it again.
Hope this helps.
Paul McCloud
San Diego