[pianotech] Repair to console music desk

Larry Fisher RPT larry_fisher at pdxtuner.com
Fri Sep 7 07:41:12 MDT 2012

Depends on the break Jurgen.  Usually the veneer stays in tact and just the filler or core wood splits.  If that’s the case you’re in luck.  My small vise grips works as a clamp and some business cards torn up and layered over the finish act as clamp protectors.   The glue usually sets enough during the tuning to get the screw back in with out it splitting out again.  It helps if you clear the hole with a toothpick before the glue sets.  In the case where the break is old, repaired numerous times or just plain worn beyond saving, I router out the filler wood and replace with a snuggly fit piece of replacement wood.