[pianotech] Moth-proofing string bearing cloth

Kazuo Yoshizaki matrasimca at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 08:03:26 MDT 2012

I have had a customer who had the same problem. It was a Steinway from
the 1920's and I replaced all the felt including the understring felt
(I understand that the new felt is anti-moth treated). When I moved
the action to my shop, I saw moths flying for a while, which I didn't
see before, so the felt in the old piano can certainly be a place for
moths. They lay small eggs inside the felt.
It's been four years since then and the piano seems to be moth free
now. If replacing the felt is not an option for the customer, why
don't you first try putting some cedar blocks as I heard that the
fumes from the moth balls are not good for the piano?

Yoshi