[pianotech] Idea for journal page, (Ed?)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Sep 9 07:57:11 MDT 2012

On 9/9/2012 8:15 AM, Ed Foote wrote:

> -----Original Message----- From: Ron Nossaman
>

> That's the way most of these "analogies" read to me, which is why I
> try to describe real stuff first as much as I can. Ron N
>
>> On Sep 8, 2012, at 9:11 PM, Euphonious Thumpe wrote:
>>
>> A tuning is to a pitch raise as having your brakes adjusted is to
>> having the pads and rotors replaced, too.
>

> There are customers for whom the facts, and simply the facts, are the
> preferred way to understand.  Others, with equal amounts of
> disposable income, are more comfortably parting with same when they
> grasp some sort of context.  This is the utility of analogies.  If
> all my customers were engineers, I wouldn't have any use for
> analogies, at all.

Yea, I have been doing this for a while, and do understand some of the
limitations of understanding among both my customers and my fellow
techs. This is why I said I try to describe the real stuff FIRST, not to
the absolute and total exclusion of everything resembling an analogy. I
try to give my customers benefit of the doubt of being intelligent
beings, regardless of income level, before I start dumbing down the
pitch arbitrarily.

Ron N