[pianotech] alternative to new bridge

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Sun Sep 9 17:51:35 MDT 2012

> I thought of adding material to the back side of the bridge and machining
> the opposite to keep the bridge width close to original.

That's exactly what I'd do if I was reusing the old bridge. Make sure it
will either clear the plate, or that you can grind the necessary plate
clearance.

*** Clearance is good, no plate grinding necessary.

I wouldn't separate the bridge. I'd keep as much of the continuous
structure of the original as I could by scabbing the back side,with a
stack of say, 2.5-3mm slabs, shaping the new curve, recontouring the
front to parallel, and recapping the whole thing.

***I have some 1/16" flat sawn maple veneer or I could cut up some denser
maple stock.  I've got a back post from an old upright waiting for a new
home. Probably a good idea to quarter the stock, trim the scabbing, epoxy it
up and clamp in place. It should bend ok to match the contour at 2 to 3mm.

Thanks,

Gene