[pianotech] brass rail duplication

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Sep 12 07:12:23 MDT 2012

Hi Will - I agree with you that 0.035 (I'll presume your units are inches - sure glad you don't work for NASA!) is not acceptable.

As several have suggested, you might want to consider converting to wooden flanges. I have done it and found the process to go quite smoothly. Bill Spurlock has a very nice written method with diagrams & pictures to follow. A few photos below to stimulate your creativity......

Basically all you need to do is modify the original action rail so that the butts are located properly such that the action centers are where you want them. In the case photos below, I had to add a strip of maple to the top of the rail (that's why my middle name is "Epoxy"!) and then route out for the flanges. Drill your holes and you are good to go (if I recall correctly, I used the original brass rails as a guide for flange hole drilling locations)!

Terry Farrell