[pianotech] brass rail duplication

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Thu Sep 13 08:28:59 MDT 2012

Will -
I'm replying to your original post, as it was classic Truitt, and the
stuff with Ron is just an unfortunate distraction   (Let's be clear:
I don't think he is an unfortunate distraction, just the digression),
but I wanted to comment on one thing and make more trouble with the
other.  I'd be very curious to know how you executed that elegant
chart that would appear as a failed Startrek transporter attempt if I
had tried to recreate it here (I did try).

>Hasenjaegar Miller upright
>Old
>treble
>Difference
>tenor
>Difference
>Rail
>Rail
>Rail
>Measure bottom of bracket to center pin v
>0.886
>0.851
>0.035
>smaller
And so on, except it was actually spread out over a much wider piece
of real estate.

Second, skipping over both the question of whether the errant
measurements would be the cause of the action problems, the wisdom of
undertaking the endeavor, or the range of corrective possibilities, I
would note that, despite encountering a certain indifference to
craftsmanly-strivings, you chose not to divulge the name of the
enterprise.  My question, asked most collegially is: Why?   You don't
seem to be making any false accusations.  What is the ethos that
defers to such indifference at the possible expense of one, or more
of your colleagues, going forward?  Would the supplier give a rat's
petuties if you were to name him?  If not, what the problem.  If so,
then that, or the threat of that should be sufficient to reawaken the
craftsman within.

And besides, I'd like to know who it is, in case I have a similar
rail to duplicate, for, as you or he has said, they're the only ones
doing this type of work.

Again, this is entirely apart from the issue of your capacity to deal
with what you have.

Just looking for trouble.

David Skolnik, RPT
Hastings on Hudson, NY