[pianotech] Brambach Grand

Rex Roseman rosemanpiano at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 13:49:22 MDT 2012

I looked at a 1925 Brambach grand today that had an action that I don't
remember having seen before. The only thing I had with me was my phone and
it was in the customer's house so the attached pictures are a bit blurry and
I could not take the end bracket off and get a good shot. I have included a
rough drawing that can be compared to the pictures.

The specific differences from a standard action are as follows:

1.         The balancer stops at the jack and has a spoon that passes
through the jack for drop regulation.

2.         The spring for the jack is a coil spring similar to an upright
and is located under the whippen beam.

3.         The knuckles are shaped into the hammer shank and covered with
leather with no under felt (similar to the tear drop? shaped built in
knuckle only flatter). The knuckle is long so that it sits both on the top
of the jack and the top of the balancer end.

I am sure someone has run into this action before. Besides having to make
any replacement parts, does anyone know if there are issues with regulation
and/or geometry? Is there any other information available about this action?

The person is looking sell the piano. Does anyone have any good or bad
experiences with this brand?

Thank you in advance for you help.

Rex Roseman