[pianotech] new Steinway casters on old steinway legs

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Sat Sep 15 09:10:21 MDT 2012

Dave L -
I'm still confused about a few things:
you say this is a 1920's O, but that the Darnell caster (Schaff 596A)
is an easy retro.  That can't be the original caster, I'm sure.  That
would have been one of the 'Faultless' style, on page 151.  Also, the
stem on 596A is Darnell's 'O' stem, as opposed to their "M" stem, (as
on Schaff 2591 and 2592).  The socket, whether square or round, would
have been the pressed steel, not the heavier, cast version.

If you think that a nickle version of the Darnell is what you're
looking for, you should talk to them
directly  http://www.casters.com/darnell_rose/contact/contact.html

More confusion:

You say piano won't be moved around, so why are you concerned about
bearings rattling?  And if it is to be moved, on a wood floor,  are
you sure you metal at all?

You say the bearings are sealed, in the new casters, so why would
replating affect them?

I just saw some (presumably new) European casters that are like the
ones on Schaff page 153  (similar to 2065B) except the wheel is
covered with a layer of high density rubber, to protect the
floor.  Quite elegant.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY