[pianotech] GH1 - pitch lock?

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 24 08:10:36 MDT 2012

I finally have come face-to-face with what has been written about for years..
An "icky" Yamaha GH1, with the untunable group of plain wire notes in
the lower tenor section.  I know I've tuned a couple of GH1's in the past,
but none were this terrible at the break.  B is the lowest plain wire, and from
there up to about Eb, they couldn't ever sound decent with the octave above.

I realize that there are better, more permanent, costly options, but I wanted to give
this a try for a church where I rehearse with a men's chorus...

I pulled out my little canister of pitch lock clips and went to work on the
bridge side of the strings - closer to the bridge has a minimal effect, while
further into the speaking length has a more dramatic effect.  The unison can
be "tuned" by moving the clips - the further from the bridge, the flatter the
pitch.

It is really, "less bad" than before.  The downside is that the only way to
tune those strings now is with all three sounding - a nightmare! That, or maybe
sliding the pitch locks up and down.  I'll be experimenting as the weather changes...

Ron Koval