[pianotech] GH1 - pitch lock?

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 24 11:42:57 MDT 2012

In addition to the increase in mass, there is the direct connection between the strings
in the sounding portion - in practice, it does force them into a unified pitch...

This is an experimental approach - clipping all three strings together that far
from the endpoint.  A byproduct of the traditional pitch lock treatment is a slight
dulling of tone of the two connected strings - what I did helped get rid of the
"twang", and result in a more stable pitch throughout the sustain.

Don't read me wrong, it's still bad, just not horrible now!

This is one of those situations where the owner(s) don't hear a problem, other
than the piano going out of tune quickly with the change in temp and humidity.
It's in a church on the south side of the sanctuary and gets baked by the sun...
(I'm gonna try and work on that!)

Ron Koval

Ron N wrote:
That follows. What you're doing is effectively adding mass to the
speaking length, requiring more string tension to get the pitch back up.
This increases the break%. Since the basic problem with these things,
among others, is a low break% in the low tenor, this makes it less bad.