[pianotech] Odd upright event

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Mon Sep 24 16:29:06 MDT 2012

  Subject: Re: [pianotech] Odd upright event

  David

  I had a similar problem once with a Hamilton. When I pressed the sustain, a few damper levers were hitting the plate in the mid treble section of the piano, creating a clicking sound.

  Unless this was a problem that was ignored in the factory, the reason the dampers levers are hitting the strings is because the distance between the strings and the damper levers is decreased.

  Wim excerpt  :There are only two reason for this to happen. Either the key bed has moved closer to the string, or the strings have moved closer to the keybed.

  Wim,
      You forgot the most likely reason ---    A manufacturing defect. ---
        One mistake in the line creates a problem for the next assembler who adapts to get the job done
  which is compounded by the next creative decision and so on until a situation such as descibed comes to be.
  The big question is how did the thing get past inspection , but that's another story.
   Tom ---   the former door fabricator at Sebring Vanguard Citi-Car ---   Driscoll