[pianotech] mold!

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed Sep 26 15:22:48 MDT 2012

The mold that's left in those pics doesn't look too terrible to me!
There are commerical anti-mold sprays for use in the home; how effective
they'd be, I don't know.

The main thing is to maintain the piano, after reasonable cleaning, in
conditions dry enough for mold not to grow. I come across a lot of old
pianos here in the West of Scotland that  have been damp at one time and
mold has started, then they've been moved somwhere else where it's drier
and the mold growth is arrested. The intial furry growth doesn't seem to
go away; it just gets grubby and grey with age and doesn't increase,
unless the piano gets damp again.

While I agree that mold/mildew can indeed be a health hazard, I don;t
think that what is left inside a nceily cleaned piano in a dry living
environment is really going to be a problem, unless someone in the home
has an EXTREME allergic sensitivity to some particlar mold protein.

Best regards,

David.