[pianotech] buttons and shoes - was pulley key...

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Thu Sep 27 08:18:27 MDT 2012

I pretty much concur with Ron. Maple--or birch or beech or whatever the
local substitute is--for the buttons. Poplar--or, again, whatever the local
substitute is--for the shoe. It's on the top of the lever where tensile
strength is important.

For the same reason I don't like using thinned hide glue to size the balance
pin hole--it makes the thing too hard and if there is any gap they click.
Maple is too hard for the shoe. If ever there is a slight gap they click.
The shoe material doesn't really have to be all that hard to hold up well;
remember there are millions of spruce, pine, bass or whatever keys out there
that have worked pretty well for a really long time. And, of course, a few
that didn't.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Fabrication
6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA
Phone  360.515.0119 — Cell  360.388.6525
del at fandrichpiano.comddfandrich at gmail.com