[pianotech] Action Ratio Measuring redux

Brown, David dcbrown at mail.smu.edu
Fri Sep 28 05:41:42 MDT 2012

All-

Sent this yesterday with attached photos, but no luck. Here is the message-

Well , here are results from a new Renner action model. After measuring the action parts themselves , I ended up with several different possible combinations depending on which measurements I used. So…… I figured, let's see what displacement gives me, and then which combinations of numbers roughly equal what I got with displacement. I include some photos of that set up. Not the actual measuring, just an idea of what the set up looked like. Ed Foote's idea of a needle in the hammer worked very well. I got 37 mm of hammer travel for 5.875 mm of dip giving me a ratio of 6.297, or 6.3. Using  combinations of action measurements, the closest I could come was either 6.49 or 6.10 , right on either side of the displacement, but still not close enough.Add them up and divide by two gives me 6.3., but that seemed like fudging.

Entirely too much time spent on this today, but very informative. I will continue this on a B action scheduled for a new keyset and parts at the end of this semester.Big thanks to all who shared and helped.

Best-

David

David C. Brown RPT
Piano Technician