[pianotech] Capstan installation

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Fri Sep 28 12:14:17 MDT 2012

Here is a potential solution, based on a technical given by Jim Ialeggio to
the New Hampshire Chapter a few weeks ago.  He was talking about action
screws wandering off axis as you describe as they were screwed into the
action rails.  This is the tool that he used (I believe) to get the screw to
go in at 90 degrees consistently:  G8748 hand tapping machine, from Grizzly.
$89.95 .  2 1/2 turns by hand would allow the screw to go in consistently.

Description
Our G8748 Hand Tapping Machine provides stability, precision and sensitivity
to the hand tapping process. The cast iron construction of the base and
over-arm gives a rigid setup that resists tool breakage. Precision ground
surfaces on the base and hardened spindle means perpendicular perfection; no
more off-axis tapped holes. The counter-balanced spindle allows far more
sensitivity than an ordinary tap handle.

Other features include: quick setting work holder, 9 tap holders that
snap-lock into spindle, rack for tap holders, adjustable height collar and
off-set handles for quick return. Can be bolted down to use as a tapping
station! Collet sizes include: #6, #8, #10, 1/4", 5/16", 7/16", 3/8", 1/2"
and 5/8".

Specifications:

    Overall dimensions: 22-1/2" x 12-1/2" x 14"
    Throat capacity: 7-3/8"
    Height capacity: 7-7/8"
    Table size: 6-1/2" x 12-1/2"
    Work holder maximum opening: 6"
    Approx. Shipping weight: 45 lbs.

Here's the link to Grizzly's site and the tool:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Hand-Tapping-Machine/G8748

If Jim reads this, he can hopefully chime in with a lot of useful
information.  I have not used this tool yet, but am lusting to get it soon.

Will Truitt