[pianotech] Keep Mehlins Weird<G>

Al Guecia/Allied PianoCraft alliedpianocraft at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 29 11:22:04 MDT 2012

Sorry Terry, I just had to use it.

Al -
High Point, NC

On Sep 29, 2012, at 1:10 PM, "Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett at earthlink.net> wrote:

I have a regular client w/a Mehlin Grand, about 6' or so. Every time I tune
it, I can't keep from musing about how weird it's design is. Any one have
any clues as to what the original design was supposed to accomplish? Like
the Plate: it angles up towards the tail, making the elevation for the
bridges waaaaay over the top. The tone is even weird. Doesn't sound like
any other piano I've encountered. Even the case design(s) are totally
against the conventional designs of the times. Almost a Chinese Puzzle Box
sort of thang. Odd curves to the cheeks. Nothing "normal" anywhere. Even
the pedals are weird. The piano is, overall, large, almost massive in
aesthetics, but the pedals are these skinny delicate things. Just Weird.<G>
Happy Saturday,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police