[pianotech] "interesting" pianos

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 13:55:50 MST 2013

    Cute.  I've tuned many old uprights in many a Sunday School basement
that looked like they were "decorated" / "antiked" / "refurbished" /
"redone" by the same person or committee, using pea soup green, avocado
green, Navy blue, sky blue, yellow, with flower stickers meant for little
girl's bedrooms or maybe bathtub bottoms, even glitter.  There was one we
called the "Jackson Pollock" piano.  You can imagine how it looked.
    Then of course there are the "chopped" uprights with the mirrors, and
which have had the toe blocks cut short, the front legs removed, and spinet
or console legs installed instead, usually inadequately, making the piano
precarious since those legs almost always bend or break when the piano is
moved.
    In a similar category are the pianos that have been painted with zebra
stripes, polka dots, etc., now a popular fad on the junker pianos installed
at downtown malls so that shoppers and kids can murder "Fuer Elise" and
"Heart and Soul" for the umpteenth time.  And don't forget the baby grands
in bars that have been outfitted with a plexiglas top and bar padding and
stools around the edges.  And, unbelievably, wasn't it Bechstein or
Bluethner or Schimmel or some other high-end brand that made a music desk
which included a cup holder and ashtray?
----David Nereson, RPT