[pianotech] German Looping Tools

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 4 18:39:20 MST 2013

Phil said:
"So, here's how I see it working: The wood block is placed in a vise and
the wire pulled up through the the steel hole and twisted it into a loop
with your plier tool. The end of the loop is left long, and goes under the
screw. It is then twisted by rotating the pliers parallel to the top of the
block. Is that close?"
Phil Jamison

Well, you're 1/2 way there. The block is held in the hand, not the vise.
The vise grips "grip" the wire, (now there's a concept!<G>), at, approx. 1
1/2". You make  a figure "4".(hopefully the tail will be approx. 1" past
the loop) Put the straight, (premeasured), wire end through the block and
pull to the figure "4". Place the tail under the lip of the screw head and
turn the block. That should give you 3 wraps, (which is what I like), when
the tail slips past the screw shank. A final trimming of the tail may or
may not be necessary, depending on how consistent you are. I like to put my
wire cutters parallel to the string, against the loop and snip. This works
good IF your loops are a consistent size. Well, that's how I've been doing
it. Like Ron, I've not had much success with the round nosed pliers, (they
slip), so I went to the Vice Grip/modified and have had much easier time
and more consistency. The most recent rebuilds have had ALL German loops,
top to bottom. Once you've done one of those, you'll have it down pat. Hope
that helps.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police