[pianotech] Tuning instability

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Mon Jan 7 11:26:25 MST 2013

David Love: Were the notes *wildly* out after you tuned it or someone else
tuned it?  Have you actually tuned it yet?

I tuned it once about 12 years ago. It was bad then but I neglected to spot
this problem. I just chalked it up to being a long time since it was tuned.
Husband called me out before Christmas, he wanted to fix piano up for his
wife. She still plays it, but they haven't had it tuned because they were
disappointed at how quickly it went out. I initially assumed loose pins
because I wouldn't have expected the notes to be that wild, even after 12
years.

I am using the Schaff Coil-Setter Tightener (cat #171) to push the beckets
in tight. Pitch is dropping from 20-300 cents. It will still be ugly but I
am confident that this plus a rigorous tuning schedule will get it
stablized. It's worked for me before. The last time I did it was on a poorly
restrung 7' Kawai. Owner was not happy with the tuning stability and called
me out. We installed complete DampChaser w/undercover and I tightened up the
beckets and piano became very stable. He has been my regular customer since.

Dean

Dean W May                (812) 235-5272 voice and text

PianoRebuilders.com    (888) DEAN-MAY

Terre Haute IN 47802