[pianotech] Yamaha Butt Fllange Cord Replacement

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 7 17:20:27 MST 2013

Terry,
It's to hold the flange in place while attaching the cord. W/o it, the
flanges tend to want to migrate elsewhere.<G> The whole thing is held by a
woodworking vise that is level with the workbench. Otherwise I spend a lot
of time chasing the jig around the darned bench!<G>
 What kind of glue??? Now Terry, you should know the answer to that one:
Hot Hide Glue! (Slightly thinner than used for hammer hanging.) Glue is
applied into the slot with the tip of a round cocktail toothpick, (slightly
flattened on two sides. The glue is applied and then the precut cord is
inserted with a thin screwdriver bit to press it into the slot. I do one
side and then the other so the glue doesn't get gelled. It goes fairly fast
with this jig.
Best,
Joe

it would want to go anywhere. Does it?