[pianotech] Square Grand Hammer hanging

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 7 20:14:01 MST 2013

I forgot to say how I trimmed the shanks. Here's a photo of the device I
used. Thanks to Ron N. it's a lot easier, with some minor hand sanding to
make it purdy.<G> You do need to support the shank while doing this, so,
there's also a pic of the Square Grand Hammer Shank Support Block. It is
also used when Surfacing the hammers. BTW, because there is so much felt
ground off of the hammer, to make it clear it's neighbors, I strongly
suggest lacquering all of the shoulders. Otherwise, they will "collapse" in
short order. I use a mixture of about 8-10:1. That's seems to do the job. I
saturate the shoulders down to the core. ("just" on the shoulders!)
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I