[pianotech] Worst Bass/Tenor Crossover in Universe

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Tue Jan 8 11:28:09 MST 2013

FWIW Jim, I can offer my experience as a former Baldwin dealer.  The
majority of the grands I sold  did not have the ribs notched into the rim,
but rather ended them 1/4" or so from the edge of the rim.  I can't remember
seeing cracks on new or older product in the area of your concern.  While I
don't have a large sample to draw from, my suspicion would be that such
cracking is all but a non-issue.  Del would be a good person to get some
feedback from on this, both from his Baldwin experience and his own upright
design.

Regarding the Pheonix agraffes, it is my understanding that they are not
available to rebuilders as an aftermarket product (unless that has changed
recently).

Will Truitt