[pianotech] Possible antivirus software misconceptions

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Tue Jan 8 11:31:28 MST 2013

It's fairly simple.........

Other OS'es like Linux and Mac (since it is a derivative of UNIX / Linux) have no idea what to do with "Windows" virus /
worms, etc.

To get a little deeper in to it..........

"___.bat"     "____.exe"     "___.dll" are "executables" and Linux / UNIX do NOT know how to operate on these types of
executables,

The Linux / UNIX "___.so" is more or less equivalent of the "___.dll" in Windows.

And, any of the MS Office macros are ignored by Linux's OpenOffice / LibreOffice.

As I've stated many times before, I'm going on 13+ years with NO antivirus software - and - NO viruses / worms / etc.

Oh, and yes, there are antivirus software packages for Linux / UNIX, which referencing above, I have never used one
(even though, I'm connected to the internet 24/7 and download stuff all the time).

Duaine

P.S. There is a program called VirtualBox (virtualbox.org) that I run within Linux to run a virtual "real" copy of
Windows XP - for all my "windows" needs.

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ - Tuning, Servicing & Rebuilding
(314) 838-5587 / dahechler at att.net / www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
Home & Business user of Linux - 12 years