[pianotech] Worst Bass/Tenor Crossover in Universe

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Tue Jan 8 17:32:51 MST 2013

"The end result is that pressure on the sounding board has been greatly
reduced, thereby further increasing acoustic efficiency."  They seem to be
making the claim that reducing the pressure on the soundboard will always
result in an increase of acoustic efficiency.  We know that in certain
circumstances with a particular board and it's loading requirements, that
may be the case if the board has already been excessively loaded with
downbearing, and we lighten the load by adjusting the plate height and/or
the hitch pins.  But in all other circumstances that would not be true.
They offer no evidence why a bridge agraffe would need to load a board by a
different quantifiable amount than a traditional bridge, all else being
equal.

The brighter spectrum of overtones likely comes from a somewhat less secure
termination at the string bearing point on the speaking length, by way of
comparison to a well-functioning notched and pinned bridge.

Interestingly, the Steingraeber Phoenix I listened to was a very nice
instrument in many ways.  But it also sounded to me like a piano that I
thought might be improved by increasing the downbearing somewhat.  As good
as it was, it lacked somewhat in dynamism to my ear.

Will