[pianotech] Worst Bass/Tenor Crossover in Universe

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Jan 8 22:12:18 MST 2013

I don't believe that bearing and crown are required to drive the board. The
coupling of the strings to the bridge is enough to drive the board.  The
problem I have with zero bearing (if what you say about the Stuart pianos is
true) is that it seems to miss an important function of downbearing which is
to control impedance and to load some potential energy into the board by
flexing it downward.  The function of crown, then, is to create a domelike
shape that can be flexed downward much like loading a spring.  The unloaded
spring has less potential energy and lower impedance characteristics.  The
key to this (simply stated) is to create a system that is crowned adequately
and made light enough that the loading of the system with potential energy
via the setting of downbearing also pushes the impedance up to the targeted
level.  The pairing of those two processes is critical.  If the board is
designed with the idea of no downbearing, then it can't achieve the required
impedance characteristics by loading.  The board will have to be built
heavier.  Because there is no downbearing, the soundboard spring will be
devoid of loading with potential energy and the tone will be relatively
linear and lifeless.

At least that's how I look at it.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com

I have heard that agraffe bridge systems like the Stuart is designed to be
used at "zero bearing" ( I believe that Stuart claims to be such, if I am
not mistaken).  But I have never understood why, if all else about a
soundboard assembly is equal in design and construction, that this would be
the case.  It seems to me like they would have more or less the same
requirements of bearing and crown to drive the board.

Will Truitt