[pianotech] Worst Bass/Tenor Crossover in Universe

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Thu Jan 10 07:57:22 MST 2013

Ron wrote:

<So tell me, what's so wrong with the current
bridge pinning and notching system, if done well, that is inferior to
agraffes?

Right...my mention of agraffes at all, was in regards to solving a very
specific problem raised by Terry's unfortunate encounter with this nasty
Steck. That is, looking for strategies that might put a little more
distance between the rim and the high bass foot.

Thinking out loud zero bearing might allow the use of a cantilever, but
then you'd buy engineering tradeoffs that the cantilever brings with
it...just trading one badness for another. It doesn't seem like the
calculus works out.

This Steck thread gets me thinking about the region of the board that is
important to the high bass. From what I've seen so far, freeing the
panel area behind the high bass or creating a high bass float(as
differentiated from the area behind the low bass as in a low bass float)
really does not in and of itself effect the nasality of the high bass at
all.  This leads me to consider several points(questions):

1- the region of the board that is important to the high bass is a rough
circumference around the entire bichord area of the bass, not just
behind the high bass.

2-mobility (or restriction) is a different quantity than the relative
stiffness built into the ribs

Terry wrote:
<Just strictly considering numerous ribs creating a "hub" of rib origins
- and hence making things more stiff than desirable, why not just plane
those ribs down (or in two dimensions) at the hub end (so the total
cross-sectional rib area is lowered to something more desirable)?

My sense Terry is that you are suggesting adjusting relative stiffness
of the rib assembly, when the issue is the mobility, not the stiffness.
(Terry...I'm still trying to get a grasp on this, so the previous
sentence is more a question than a statement)

These questions all center around amplitude requirements of this
register, or at least "amplitude" as a word I've seen it discussed in
these archives. However, the concept of amplitude is where my
understanding of the physics gets mushy. It might help if someone could
explain what exactly the word "amplitude" is referring to when
soundboard mobility is discussed.

My understanding (admittedly limited) is that amplitude refers to
intensity of sound...maybe volume. Large excursions of the soundboard,
ie a large amplitude, would be required to create a loud sound.
Frequency requirements are not necessarily large or small excursions,
but rather the ability of the soundboard system to allow an appropriate
# of oscillations...no?  Or put another way, power requires amplitude,
the aforementioned "nasality" requires adequate conditions to allow the
soundboard to oscillate at an appropiate rate, somewhere close to high
bass averaged fundamental frequencies??

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio