[pianotech] Pinblock Separation

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Fri Jan 11 05:59:04 MST 2013

I would use an industrial grade epoxy like West Systems for this repair.  For a variety of reasons, not every crack can be pulled  all the way shut, despite your best efforts at clamping, bolts, etc.  The epoxy will fill any remaining voids with strength and give you a better chance to achieve a lasting repair.

Even so, given the size of the crack your describe, I would tell the customer that I cannot guarantee this repair, and the price will be the same whether it succeeds or fails.  Part of the problem is that we can only repair that which we have access to.

The manufacturer is wrong.  Even if the tuning pins are tight, the back is very unstable because it is no longer integrated with the pinblock.  You may find that the tuning will wander such that you will not be able to complete a successful tuning.

Will Truitt