[pianotech] frustrated

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Fri Jan 11 11:33:39 MST 2013

Greetings,
    All we have to sell is our time. It is the only thing of real value
we possess, and when it is gone, it is gone forever.  I encourage all
to be careful about letting circumstances make us cheapen it.   If
someone's piano takes twice as long as another, I charge them twice as
much.  If a piano takes 5 hours to tune, someone has to pay me for five
hours work if I am going to be the one spending that much time on it.
Otherwise, let some other tuner enjoy the work.
   While a beginning tech has to take whatever comes their way,  these
situations are not good career moves and trying to maintain them should
be avoided as soon in our careers as possible.  They have multiple
things going against them.  They tend to be a poor return on our effort
and stress, they tend to be poor advertising for our skills, and they
tend to leave owners with a poor return on their money spent to
maintain them. I have turned down work before, because I knew that the
customer would never pay the amount needed for me to have my name
associated with the results. Better a lost job than a poor paying one
which also carries a higher risk of putting a blot on your name!
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
http://www.piano-tuners.org/edfoote/well_tempered_piano.html

>>Do any besides me have pianos which take 4-5 hours to tune,and if so
how do you bill for them.   I have some Chickerings which take methat
long, and I have a Kawai KG2 (which I’m tuning for a serious
concert)which I simply can’t get stable