[pianotech] Rendering fix

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Jan 11 19:07:22 MST 2013

On 1/11/2013 7:32 PM, Jim Ialeggio wrote:

> <If the corroded strings aren't dragging across inches of the new
> felt, where's the thwart?
>
> this is one of those spots where a microscopic problem creates an
> effect whose magnitude seems at first glance to be way beyond the
> effect one might expect. It also is an effect which is frankly hard
> to believe, until you see and test the havoc it wreaks...that leaves
> me with my guard up...Murphy just lurking, waiting expectantly with a
> smirk.

I'm aware of how the drag works. The point is that if there is no
contact, there is no drag. Remove the felt under most of the strings,
and greatly reduce the bearing of the strings on the remaining felt, and
you will greatly reduce the drag. Render unto Murphy, that which is
Murphy's, but you get to keep what works.

> I have been considering this for a while, and have a source for some
>  better quality polyester felt than the craft stores carry, though
> the $50 min will last me well into the next millenium. The color is a
>  reasonable scarlet, but butt felt it ain't, as its only 1/8 thick.
> I guess I could make a built up lamination of the polyester, then
> make some tacky Christmas ornaments with the rest <G>.

Laminated butt felt for the trade! The future has arrived. Call Jim and
get your butt felt...

Uh, wait...
Ron N