[pianotech] strip muting

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sun Jan 13 19:26:30 MST 2013

Hi, Marshall

I strip mute only in the temperament area, as much as is convenient.

I use a felt wedge in the bass section, and a smaller felt wedge as
needed in the middle and treble (of a grand).

I don't see why anyone would want to strip mute the bass. One
never needs to jump around the scale (as when doing the temperament)
and moving a wedge downward through the bass section is extremely easy.

For uprights, I strip mute the middle register, and use a wire
rubber mute and/or a Papps mute in the treble. I still use the wide
felt mute in the bass.

Best,
Susan