[pianotech] mutes

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 14 05:47:17 MST 2013

Hi Susan,Thanks for the info. I use a paps in the treble and fat fubber wedge in the bass, or felt wedge on grands at times.  I think the tuning right then left then having to go back and do left then right in the bass is a little time consuming.  I'm ot sure now to actually strip m ute the treble especially with the dampers so close.  I think sticking the papes mute in slows me down as well at times because I get some strange feed back from the strings on cheap pianos. I tuned a "grand" spinet last week and when I muted off the string to let only the center and left sound after tuning the left, rather than receiving the wa wa wa feedback from the out of tune middle string It was as if it just changed pitch without the vibration, very odd.  I get this on pianos where I won't hear any thing at all when tuning the middle to the left string.  On some grand pianos I have to push down the unichorda?hope I spelled this correctly Joe, lol pedal to hear the right string.  Now is this due to hammer spacing ,or string spacing or is the pedal out of adjustment. So theres  factors often slow me down.   I agree with Dave too on these pianos we come across are mostly from the average person who wouldn't know what a concert tuning was if it bit them lol  So that's where I run into trouble. How am I to hone these skills if I'm just doing average pianos and have such a limitted amount of time to do them?  Marshall

Marshall Gisondi
MARSHALL'S PIANO SERVICE
215-510-9400
http://www.phillytuner.com