[pianotech] tuning without stripping

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Jan 14 14:42:27 MST 2013

Come on now Wim....I'll take Duanes point on this in that having the title of RPT..... entitles no one to much of anything. Many of the finest techs I have known are not RPTs or members of the Guild for that matter. Conversely there are some fairly incompetent people in our field who have titles. Sorry its true. They study to take the test to get the title but don't grow beyond it. I mean no offense to those souls,... so if any thing is taken, let it be as a challenge to improve. Its the commitment to improvement over time that makes the difference and I aknowledge we are all somewhere on a learning curve. Hey, I heartily get that and affirm that.
 In my opinion. The minimum requirement standards to pass the RPT tests are not that high(talking min. now so don't jump me) compared to the skill needed to actually provide comprehensive service on  pianos  at a relatively high level.
  SO its a moot point. On the other hand, joining the guild provides a source of invaluable information... and networking opportunities so one can better themselves. Then it is possible to offer comprehensive service if they so choose. It really all boils down to individual motivation and desire. Enough said.
 Flame suit buttoned up!
 Duane..... are you a member? Just curious

Dale Erwin R.P.T.

Now, I don't want to start another "do or don't" war.....however, since 99% of

my customers are like the ones David is
talking about - I don't see the - need - to become an RPT.

Just stating - and - no further commentary is wanted.

Duaine

I guess if you're happy and satisfied doing nothing but pitch raises on old upright, then I would agree there might not be a need to become an RPT. But becoming an RPT might give you the ability to work on better and newer pianos, and actually build a clientele that will help your business.

Wim