[pianotech] My first square

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon Jan 14 17:46:21 MST 2013

I assume that this rebuilt square has normal tuning pins, instead of the
oblong ones?

There's a tip for the oblong ones, but of course one has less choice for
tuning hammer
angle, with only two positions possible instead of 8.

There's a little extender available, where you can screw any tuning tip
onto a normal square
tuning pin top. This works on the oblong pins -- put the extender with
an oblong tip
onto the right tuning pin, then put the normal tuning hammer onto the
extender, at
any convenient angle. It's a little tall and wobbly, but quite possible.

It also helps with the backache problem, and the awkwardness of leaning
over to find
the right tuning pin. The extender is easier to move around accurately
than the whole
tuning hammer. Having the lid off also helps -- better light.

Persistence and frequent breaks will see you right. Figure out some good
stretches.

Time was, all tuners had to tune squares -- just routine work, back then.

Susan Kline