[pianotech] Measuring Action Ratios

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Jan 15 18:56:25 MST 2013

When analyzing actions I've used both the gauge for measuring key travel
versus hammer travel as well as the actual measuring and multiplying out the
three separate lever arms.  So far, they've been fairly close.  However,
today I was measuring a MH A and the gauge gave me a AR of 5.2 whereas the
measuring of the three arms gave me 5.9.  Curious.  Assuming I'd measured
incorrectly I remeasured several times and got the same result.  When using
the numbers to calculate via the Stanwood method the predicted balance
weight/front weight/strike weight relationships the 5.9 was clearly the more
accurate number.  At a bit of a loss to explain it so, for the moment, all I
can do is report it.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com