[pianotech] LANGER ACTION

Larry Fisher RPT larry_fisher at pdxtuner.com
Tue Jan 15 22:39:24 MST 2013

I agree Ron.  I tuned an Aeolian that struck me funny.  Like Kimball, Aeolian made at least one grand piano that was a pleasure to tune that was a result of their final moments in creating pianos.  Another Kimball that I tuned had real ivory on the keys ........  one piece keytops in ivory!!  They imported the keys from England during that episode.

I’ve heard rumors that as the Kimball factory was shutting down, employees were invited to design a piano.  A local dealer took delivery on two such pianos and they sounded quite nice  ..........  like a totally different piano brand.

> The hammer rail proudly labeled the action as a Langer whatever with a
> h. b. jack or something like that. I just knew I should have taken a
> picture. I got focused on visiting with a very pleasant artist type
> about my age instead. Anyone have a clue what I?m talking about??
> The action guys, not the girl ok??

I thought at the time that it was tragic that after all those years of
making absolute junk, after making decent pianos early on, Kimball
finally started producing what was looking like it could be a nice piano
just as they got out of the piano business.

Figures,
Ron N